Daikon Series: Radish cake

Wednesday, October 21, 2020 0 Comments A+ a-


My last visit to SB was a fruitful one as I brought back home a stalk of fat radish. I used half for my oden soup (check out my previous post) and saved the other half for radish cake. I always order the pan fried radish cake when I patron at the dim sum restaurants. So far the radish cake by Full Moon Restaurant, The Hague tops my list. I simply fall in love with the texture - not too soft or too hard, and you can taste the chunky shredded radish in every bite of the savoury radish cake.

If you are lucky, you may get the ready-made radish cake from the Asian grocers, usually at the frozen food section. Since it cannot be found in the Asian grocers here, I attempted to make my own, in order to satisfy my craving for radish cake.  It could be pretty time consuming to make a pan of radish cake, but it could be rewarding after all. I wouldn't say my radish cake is perfect, but I am super proud of my radish cake as they tasted so good. But I regretted for not making it in a bigger quantity. 


Ingredients
800g grated radish
300g rice flour
560g water
4 tbsp dried shrimps (soak in water for 20min, chopped)
4-5 tbsp shallot oil
salt and pepper
Oil for pan-frying

Directions
Steamed radish cake
1. In a mixing bowl, add in rice flour and water. Stir well until no lumps.
2. In the pan, add in shallot oil, chopped dried shrimps, grated radish, salt and pepper. Stir-fry for 3-5 min.
3. Add in the rice flour and water mixture. Constantly stir until the batter is slightly thickened.
4. Transfer the radish batter into a baking pan and steam it for 15-18min under medium high heat.
(Do grease the baking pan surface with some oil beforehand).
5. Cool the steamed radish cake in room temperature.

Stir-fry radish cake
6. Cut the radish cake into 4x4cm square.
7. Heat up some oil in the skillet. Pan-fry the radish cake until both sides are lightly browned.

The radish cake is ready to be served. Don't forget to enjoy it with a dash of spicy sriracha chili sauce. Yum!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Loading...