Daikon Series: Daikon Radish Oden

Saturday, June 20, 2020 0 Comments A+ a-


I do not usually shop at SB. I somehow made an unusual trip there early of the month because my vitamin supply was running low and I need to restock :( Guess what I spotted in the fresh produce section while shopping in SB? Daikon radish!! 

Ever since my first try of daikon radish oden in Osaka few years back, I instantly fell in love with daikon radish. Daikon radish is rare to find in common supermarkets here, so there is no way I could go home without it. I happily brought back home the fattest stalk which I could find in the supermarket and made my favourite oden hotpot for dinner that night.

Daikon radish in the hotpot are usually cut into huge chucks for stewing. This it to prevent the radish from tearing apart after long hours of cooking. In the interest of time, I cut my radish into bite size to speed up the cooking time. I also used the instant dashi powder for my oden soup.


Ingredients
500g daikon radish (cut into bite size cubes)
1 sachet instant dashi powder
1 litre water
1 cube Knorr vegetable cube
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
a pint of salt
1 stalk spring onion (chopped)
fish cakes (variety)
1 carrot (bite size cubes) - optional

Directions
1. With 1 litre water in cooking pot, add in instant dashi powder, vegetable cube, soya sauce, carrot and daikon radish. Cook until daikon radish turn soft.
2. Add in fish cakes, sugar and salt. Cook for 3-5 min or until fish cakes are cooked.
3. Sprinkle chopped spring onion and serve the soup hot.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Loading...