Dakgalbi Korean Spicy Stir Fried ChickenThere a number of Korean Restaurants back home which serve good Dakgalbi. Usually dakgalbi in prepared right in front of you, hence there is a rule for minimum order for 2pax. Dakgalbi does not come cheap as the minimum charge for a 2pax set is around MYR36. With additional add-on such as rice cake, ramen, udon, sweet potatoes etc. plus drinks, the total bill could be easily hit above MYR50.
It did not cross my mind to prepare Dakgalbi at home until I crave for the dish in foreign land and it is nowhere to get except cook it myself. My first attempt was a great success and I had received tonnes of compliments, I then confident to share the recipe here.
350gm of chicken breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
3-5 leaves of Napa cabbage (cut into bite sized pieces)
1 carrot (sliced)
2 stalks of scallion (cut into 3cm chunks)
1 potato (cut into 3-5cm long stripes, and boiled in water)
1 medium onion (sliced)
1 1/2 tbsp of minced garlic
1 tbsp of minced ginger
3 tbsp gochujang
1 tbsp cup chili flakes (optional, skip this if you don't take spicy food)
3 tbsp of soy sauce
sugar and water solution
sesame seed for garnishing (optional)
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with some soy sauce, salt and pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Make the sauce by mixing the minced ginger and garlic, 3 tbsp gochujang, 3 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp cup chili flakes and sugar water solution.
3. Heat up some oil in pan, stir fry the sliced onions follow by cabbage, carrot and potato stripes.
4. Add in chicken pieces and sauce prepared earlier. Stir well. Cover with the lid and cook for about 15 minutes.
5. Add in the seasoning - pinch of salt if required.
6. Once the chicken pieces are cook, add in the scallion and do a quick stir.
7. As finishing touch, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the Dakgalbi and serve the dish straight from the pan.
Koreans' way to enjoy Dakgalbi is to wrap the chicken pieces with butter-head leaf or lettuce. The left over sauce in the pan is then used to make fried rice. You may add-in some kimchi and roasted seaweed to your fried rice for more texture. I bet you will be super satisfied and full after this hearty meal.