Sweet & Sour MeatballsMy favorite tomato sauce is always the original Heinz tomato sauce. Somehow, I did not check the label correctly and bought home a bottle of 500ml Heinz Hot Chili tomato sauce instead. Even though it was named "hot chili", it is incidentally not spicy at all. The zesty tomato sauce came with the aroma of cayenne pepper which made it an ideal ingredient for cooking. I used it for my Sweet & Sour Meatballs dish and it turned out fantastic.
Meatballs (pan fried), capsicum with various colors (cut into cubes), onion, ginger slices, cooking oil, corn starch and water solution.
Sauce: Heinz Spicy Chili tomato sauce, sugar, white vinegar, sweet chili sauce, oyster sauce, salt.
1. For sweet and sour sauce, mix all the sauces in a mixing bowl and set aside for later use.
2. Heat up 1tbsp of cooking oil, sauteed onion and ginger till fragrant.
3. Add in capsicum, stir well.
4. Pour in the sweet sour sauce and bring to boil.
5. Add in meatballs, stir well till all the meatballs are coated with the sauce.
6. Pour in the corn starch solution to thicken the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
Voila, the sweet and sour meatballs is done. I added some scallions to harmonize the warm color of the dish.
1. I used homemade meatballs for this demonstration but you may use the frozen meatballs.
2. You can substitute meatballs with fresh chicken pieces. Best to pan-fry the chicken pieces for better texture and color.
3. You may add in the fresh or canned pineapple for natural sweet and sour taste.